Sunday, October 5, 2008

Volume 3

So, upon reflection, I decided that the series of blogs about getting locked out should be called Lord of the Keys instead. But there's no way I can change them now, that would be ridiculous...and maybe even a bit pathetic. But that new title definitely makes the experiences feel a bit more epic, doesn't it?
Ok, this "locked out" experience actually preceeded my other two...so I've actually been telling them backwards.
Until about 2 weeks ago, I have been homeless. So while I was homeless, I was living in the various basements of friends...first it was Foust for a week...then I moved in with Megan and her parents in Lehi until we could find what is now our lovely place in the Avenues. So anyway, to get into Megan's house I would just go in through the garage and just use the key code to get in. One morning, after the 30 min commute from work, I came back and typed in the code. No movement from the garage door. I tried it ten times, literally. Nothing. I couldn't contact Megan's parents because 1) I didn't have any of their phone numbers and 2) they were both out of the state of Utah. So really, what could they do? So I was a bit panicked. Megan was at work all the way in SLC, and she wasn't answering her phone....and I still had about 4 hours until she was on her lunch break anyway. So I went around the housing, checking for any unlocked doors. But there was really no way that anything would be unlocked, especially if Megan was sleeping all by her lonesome in her house at night. There was a window partially open, but I was not going to go to the extreme of kicking in the screen just to get in. I know I would have felt super terrible. So I did what I always do in a crisis...call my mommy. But, she didn't answer either. What do you do when all the people who are supposed to help you, can't?? (of course you pray...I tried that and no doors magically opened...but I knew things would turn out evetually) I tried the garage door again..still nothing. I wondered if the battery had run out or something...but I couldn't get the battery pack thingy to open up. I decided that I would sleep in my car until Megan called me back...but just sitting in there was making me oh-so-hot...I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep. I decided I should go somewhere...I felt the neighbors were getting suspicious and probably thought I was some kind of prowler or something...who knows? So I drove "into town" to kill some time.
Mommy finally called back. I sat in my car for almost an hour complaining about my dilemma in the Arby's parking lot....hoping Megan would call back at any minute (her lunch hour was getting closer). Still nothing. After eating some lunch and staring at my phone...I wandered around the store for about 2 more hours. No call from Megan....during those hours I think I called her every fifteen minutes. Haha...poor girl. Sorry Megan. By this time...I was super tired....and I decided to go and try the door again....and if not, then just sleep in my car with the windows down and hope that I wouldn't cook to death. I get back...try the door....and.....WHA LA!!! It opened. Turns out the power had gone out for awhile because some construction was being done near by. But, here's the kicker....it had come back on only like 10 minutes after I'd decided to leave the house. If only I had just waited!!!!!!!!!!! And, it turns out...Megan had left her phone at home...so she wouldn't have even known there was a problem until she got home at like 5. And found me sleeping in her driveway. Hahahahaha. It's good that the garage door opened, or I was going to have my Mom sign on to my g-chat at home in OK and try to talk to Megan online or something....that would have been fun. Because really, what could she have done anyway?

So, as you can see, I have spent a lot of time in my car. It's really almost like my second home. And it pretty much was for awhile. I tell ya, living out of your car is super super annoying. I used to think it would be fun trying out homelessness for one night...but after my homeless experience, I do not recommend it.

These posts may or may not be somewhat boring, but here's the thing...I'm a rookie...so get off my back, ok??

1 comment:

ashley said...

Maren, I love your Lord of the Keys trilogy on here! Remember when I would ALWAYS lock my keys in my car and so my mom sent you a key to hold on to so when it would happen I wouldn't have to get a locksmith? I think I may still have three of them lying around here somewhere.