Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Happy National Chocolate Day

Today at work I discovered that today, October 28, is National Chocolate Day. (By the way, National Chocolate Day also falls on December 28th and December 29th.) Therefore, today was supposed to be the best day ever for chocolate lovers everywhere! So, after work, I decided to purchase some chocolate to celebrate. Thus began my worst shopping trip ever. Ya know those days when you're kind of excited to go to the grocery store because you know everything you want to buy, and you can't stop thinking about all the yummy food you're going to make? Well, this was one of those times for me. And this is rare. Usually I don't really get excited about going to the store...trust me, when I'm in a Wal-Mart the sentence you will most frequently hear from my lips is: "I have to get out of here...this place is a hell-hole." (and I'm sorry I just swore...I'm not usually a swear bear...but honestly that place brings out the worst in me...I do have some swearing stories coming up, though) I plan on making chili tonight....but who knows how it will go because of the following experience....

Anyway it all started with the bread bowls. The last time I went to Smith's...they most definitely had bread bowls. I made a specific mental note, so it's for sure that they sell them. Well, this morning...nothing. Not a bowl made of bread in sight. Not in the bakery, not the bread isle...not even on those trays where they sell their older items. Yes, I would have settled for the old ones.

Second, no diced tomatoes with lime and cilantro. These make the chili taste oh-so-delicious! I honestly stared at this aisle for ten minutes, hoping I didn't miss them. No...they don't have them. So I had to settle with the tomatoes with sweet onion. Experts tell me it will taste ok...but it won't be the same.

Also, I was in search of the best bag of chocolate candy money could buy. Not found. Now, this one is my fault because all the candy companies cannot form a bond and put all of their assorted chocolate candy bars into one bag. I couldn't find a comibination mixed bag of candy that I was completely pleased with. My perfect bag consists of: Snickers, Reese's, KitKats, and Peanut M&m's. And maybe the occasional Three Musketeer.

Finally, THEY RAN OUT OF PUMPKIN ICE CREAM. This may have been the saddest moment of all. As I stared at the empty shelf in the frozen food aisle, one of those sad, slow songs from the 60's came on. "You don't have to stay forever, just be close at hand...you don't have to stay forever I will understand...BELIEVE ME!!!" It was actually a perfect moment. I was probably in a commercial and didn't know it. Pumpkin is my favorite. And it's only in season for awhile, so I have cherish it while I can. But, thanks Smith's, you have ruined my life. But I can't really say I'll stop shopping there...because it is just so darn close. And I can't think of another grocery store to shop at instead.

All I know if, if my chili doesn't taste as good because of you, there will be more swearing.

No comments: