Friday, January 22, 2010

CoCo, Please Don't Go!

I really do love television. I know, it truly sounds pathetic.. but let me explain.


Yes, T.V. can be mindless and contain a lot of smut and be damaging in a lot of respects. But, when used wisely, it can teach you, pull you into another world, explore different places, and heck.. even inspire you. And you really don't have to leave your couch to do it. Pretty cool. I mean, I don't recommend you watch it 24/7.. but for all the bad rep it gets.. you can really find some neat stuff. (Maybe this is why I'm in the T.V. biz, even though it can be super frustrating!!)





So because of this.. I have a confession. Every time I watch the last episode of a show, I get a bit sad. Ok, I even shed a few tears! (If you really know me.. you'll know that I cry at the strangest, most importune times! It's really crazy & awful). I did it when I watched the last episode of E.R. (which I did not watch on a regular basis) and Monk. I think it's because I think about if I was in that situation of doing something I loved for so long, but having to move on.. that's hard.


That being said.. I totally cried during Conan's last episode of the "Tonight Show." I could tell he was really doing something he loved--just making people laugh and having fun. His parting words to his fans were also very genuine and inspirational:







"All I ask of you is one thing: please don’t be cynical. I hate cynicism — it’s my least favorite quality and it doesn’t lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen."
(Picture & quote courtesy ew.com)


And you know, what he said is really true. I honestly believe because I've tried to work hard and be kind and respectful in my job, I gotten a lot of respect from my coworkers. And most of those are middle-aged men. Hard to deal with when you're just a kid!

So, yes, I think Conan got a raw deal (even if he's walking away with millions) because he's walking away from a dream. But he's doing it for the integrity of the show and the principle of the matter. So hey.. more power to him.



Let's just say I'd hate to be Jay Leno right now.

Your thoughts?

2 comments:

Kari McCallon said...

I agree. I liked Jay Leno when he had the Tonight Show. I liked him better than Letterman, but I don't think I'll watch him when he goes back to the Tonight Show.

I will say basically I'm not a late night talk show watcher. But ever since this whole ordeal came about Matt has been turning on Conan and he has really been professional about the whole thing. I mean it really stinks for him (the millions must be nice)--- too bad my job wouldn't offer me that. haha. but he's walking away gracefully.

Anonymous said...

I haven't really followed the Tonight Show drama, but I have to say I've got a lot of respect for Conan now. I'm sure something will pop up for him.

I don't really know if I can contribute names unless I know more about your tv. Is it junkie? Have rabbit ears? Flat screen? Sleek and Modern? Big and boxy?